Friday, August 26, 2011

Ms. Marvel


I just finished the Marvel Essentials "Ms. Marvel" and my take on it I loved it. For me growing up I never really read many comic books. I read a few Archie Comics with a little Sabrina and Josie throw in but never the traditional comic book. So for me this is a whole new world, and I'm loving it.
So anyway, back on to Ms. Marvel...For me she was the perfect pick for me to dive into the comic book world. I really identified with the character because she just wanted to be treated like everybody else. I feel how she feels when I am in Nerdom, I am underestimated and not always treated the same ways as "the guys" are. When the reality is I have been playing table top role playing games for a while. And sometimes its hard for me to even find a game to play in because I am a girl and I'm pinned as the girlfriend.
Okay sorry again about the rant. I liked the collection that was put together. The only issues I would have liked to seen was the ones where Ms. Marvel and Marcus had a relationship. Honestly it came out of left field when in the last issue of the collection, "The Avengers 10(1981)" Carol Danvers/Ms. Marvel talks about what is essential her rape then pregnancy. Kinda some important information that was left out.
As a whole I think Carol Danvers/Ms. Marvel is a very dynamic character that is all about girl power. At every point this incredibly strong women,(physically and metaphorically) is constantly being put down by the men surrounding her. She has her father, J. Jonah Jameson, and Dr. Michael Barnett.
» Click to show Spoiler - click again to hide... «

The other problem I have with Michael Barnett is he doesn't really do his job as a therapist. Maybe instead of trying to find a wife in his patients he might be able to help them through her problems, mainly her schizophrenia. The other heroes that I have seen seem to come to terms with their super powers. Whereas Carol does the human thing and creates a defense mechanism in her head and rationalizes her powers with Ms. Marvel and Carol acting as two different people that just share the same body. Hecate is a better therapist than Micheal, shes the one who in issue 13 helps Carol realize that she is Ms. Marvel.
I really enjoyed reading Ms. Marvel and I think she was the perfect heroine for me to get my feet wet. For my next read I'm going to DC and got to Showcase Presents: The Flash.

P.S. This is the last time I will put in a spoiler, you have had over 30 years to read this comic. Unless the spoiler is less than 10 years old I will not put it in.


No comments:

Post a Comment